Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

High Expectations

Before I begin with tonight's topic of "High Expectations," I'd like to respond to Christie's last response to my "Birth Control for Eleven Year Olds" blog. Wow, Christie, that is depressing that you've had to deal with the issue already in the high school where you work. You gave a good response to the girl. If I were in your place, I don't know what I would have said! I don't know what's wrong with people these days. Children don't need birth control--they need good parents! Now for tonight's topic...

Recently, I was forwarded a link to yet another website that conjures up some random, blog-worthy thoughts in my head. Here's the link...
http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/dress.html The site is just a list of dress code expectations for the students at Bob Jones University (wherever that is--never heard of it.) After looking over the expectations, all I could really say was WOW. Their rules are so strict it's ridiculous.

I'm a Christian girl, but I'm sorry--wearing flip-flops is not a sin. I believe students SHOULD be required to wear appropriate, conservative dress in schools (and everywhere), but they should also be allowed to have more say in what the wear. "Morning Dress–dress shirt (no denim/chambray) with tie, dress or neat casual pants (no jeans, cargo, carpenter, or sloppy pants), dress or leather casual shoes; sweaters should show shirt collar and tie knot (no sweatshirts)." Aren't they getting a bit picky with the shirt collar sticking out just so, the no-jeans rule, etc.? Their rules are over the top in my opinion.

At Fern Creek (where I'm interning), they require the older students to tuck in their shirts so that they are presentable, and skirts must come to a certain length. Rules like these make sense to me because they allow children to choose what they wear but also make sure that they are wearing things properly and presenting themselves properly to others. It is good to set rules and expectations for students because they know what is required of them, but in the case of dress, it would make more sense to set some basic rules (like the examples from Fern Creek), and then if a few problems arise, deal with them on an individual basis.

Although I do believe in individuality---in some cases, I would opt for uniforms--but only in extreme cases. For instance, if a school has mostly low-income students who can't afford clothing, it would be beneficial to have them wear uniforms. Also, if there is a school in the inner city, where gang symbolism and inappropriate dress abound, then students should wear uniforms. Otherwise, give students the ability to make good choices about their dress.

Conservative clothing doesn't have to be 'un-trendy.' And I don't consider it a sin to have well-fitted clothes instead of "loose fitting shirts and pants." Students should be expected to wear conservative clothing, have 'normal' hair, and be free of distractions (like tongue piercings, green mohawks, and tattoos)--but they should be allowed to wear things found in an everyday department store--as long as it's appropriate.

1 comments:

I remember in middle school our dress code was strictly enforced, but it was nothing like Bob Jones University. Just the typical, hands by your side, that is how long your shorts/skirt/dress should be. Three fingers, is how big the material should be on your shoulders, no showing your mid section, and no flip flops. Which to me, was not so bad. Students don't need to come to school showing everying, or have there pants hanging so low you can see their undergarmets. But if it is appropriate, why not let them wear it? Good post. :)