Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

Working Toward the Final Product for Blog Assignment - Inequality

Yes, Olyivia, I will use red pen to grade things once in a while. I will use other colors too though just to avoid monotony. :)

Well, here is the start of my final product for my blog. I have chosen to combine several of my blog topics into one umbrella topic - inequality (with a focus on gender & race). It is almost a cliche issue because many people choose it as a topic to write about, but I think it's an important issue that should be discussed and confronted.

I have blogged about many things that are seemingly random (and many of them are :)), but I plan to use some or all of the following past blog topics: the Jena 6, the adverse effect of the hip-hop culture on youth, money & gender, inappropriate ads (I'm sure I can use that one somehow), high expectations, and maybe a couple of others that I might be able to associate with the topic. I'll see how it pans out near the end. This is one of my first drafts, so it's only going to be the tip of the iceberg. Bear with me. :)

People take for granted today the many freedoms that did not exist in the past. Nowadays, different races can use the same facilities, enjoy the right to vote, be recognized as equals, and much more. And women have come a long way as well - with the ability to vote, seek a greater education, work towards career goals, etc. It is quite amazing once you really think about the advances that have been made.

When I hear of racism or gender inequality, however, I wonder why the individuals involved are still stuck in the dark ages. Stories like the Jena 6 make me sick. Did those white people that hung the nooses in the tree really grow up in the same country and same decade as me? And did the black students who beat the white student (who wasn't even involved in the noose-hanging incident) even think about the consequences of their actions, or did they just act on animal instinct like they see in video games and media, thinking that violence is normal, acceptable, and necessary?

Besides the cases of racial tension, we still have gender issues. These days, men and women compete for the same careers. So why would a man be offended if a woman makes more than he does or visa versa? It's not because it's only one gender's role to win the bread for the family, it's because both men and women are competitive. We both feel the need to win--whether we're striving for the best job, the highest paycheck, or even trying to be the one who pays for a nice dinner.

---I'm going to stop here because my 20 minutes are up, it's late, and I have to go to bed. So, I will continue with this at a later time. Have a good week, fellow bloggers and blog-readers! :-D

2 comments:

Nice post! I look forward to reading the rest. I admire you for beginning your final writer's workshop. I am so lost as to what to write about!! You chose an interesting topic(s) that you can certainly elaborate on.

 

It's easier for us as women to tell men that they shouldn't feel belittled if we earn more than they do. For hundreds of years, the man has been the head of the family and pulled in the highest income. It's part of their upbringing, they read about it in various texts, and they expect to grow up to the same expectations. Then society does an about face and they're supposed to accept that, for the first time in our society, there is no head of household and they're not supposed to feel superior and they're not supposed to feel better about being the highest bread winner, etc. It's easier for women, who have wanted equality for decades, to accept what they've been striving for than it is for men to come down off their supposed pedestals. Anyway, I just wanted you to look at the other side of the gender issue. I really have to put up with it because I'm married to an old, Italian. He didn't speak to me for 4 months when I told him I had to get a job to help pay the bills and support our family. If I keep telling you everything I get mad about, I'll end up divorcing him, so I'd better stop now. Christie