Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

Entertainment vs. Worship

These days, some people claim that “young people’s” [generalization] idea of worship is to hear a rock-like band and to be “entertained” essentially. But as a “young person” myself, I tend to disagree with this generalization somewhat but to ask “so what?” at the same time. I have a dual sense of worship because of my upbringing in a traditional church and because of my being introduced to modern worship and contemporary worship music in my early teen years. Why discount someone’s worship experience just because it’s different or more “contemporary”?

As an elementary education major in college, I was told over and over to create lesson plans that were both educational and fun. So I say why not do the same with worship experiences? I love pomp and circumstance and good ol’ tradition very much, but I find nothing wrong with using contemporary music, technology, and such to spice things up a bit. What does it hurt? If anything, I think it boosts the experience. We in the younger generation have grown up with all sorts of media, and it’s a big part of our lives. To expect us to walk into a church where none of that media is present and expect us to come back and feel like we are even considered a part of the crowd is a bit naïve.

My church currently has kids leave the traditional worship service and go for a more entertaining means of learning about Biblical teachings. On one hand, this is a great service to our young people, but on the other hand it’s doing them a great disservice in the long run—as well as to the church. Why? Two reasons. One: The kids are missing out on the tradition and regular worship experience offered by the church each Sunday. Two: The church is continuing to do traditional worship only, while training its kids to expect fun and interactive worship experiences. And once the kids graduate from the children’s moment and find themselves sitting in the pews for a regular service with no interaction or media of any sort, they (the older congregants) shouldn’t be shocked when the kids grow up and don’t come back. Very few youth are like myself—content in traditional surroundings every Sunday. Nowadays, I even find myself at times longing for more contemporary injections into the experience every once in a while.

In my view, as long as a worship service includes real worship, tradition, contemporary elements, fellowship, and acceptance, there can be no argument that the focus is not on God. Having a screen with hymn lyrics or Bible verses on it, clapping, guitar-playing, and the like do not make for an “entertain me only” experience. It just opens the doors to a more diverse group of congregants. And I don’t see why anyone of any age would discourage that possibility.

I can worship God in a variety of settings, so I know that others can too. I can pray in my car or at the altar, sing in the traditional choir, sing along to a new contemporary worship song being projected onto a screen, recite the Apostle’s Creed, and more. No experience out-shines another in my mind. As long as I focus on the true meaning of my actions, I cannot lose sight of the purpose of my being there.

Jesus himself made His own Commandments more understandable and more easily acceptable by telling parables or stories. He humanized His messages so that we might better relate to His Commandments. For this reason also, I don’t believe that adding to traditional worship methods is offensive to God. Obviously, I can’t speak for Him, but I know that He accepts us as we are, and we are called to do the same and to proclaim His Word using any method necessary.

We have cantatas and children’s plays to illustrate God’s Word in a somewhat contemporary –traditional manner, and yet this doesn’t seem to be viewed by the overly traditional supporters as entertainment—because it isn’t! These are a couple of our human ways to worship the Lord. Again, as long as the focus is on Him, what’s wrong with maybe having a band with guitars and [gasp!] drums? Nothing.

It is time for church-goers and church leaders everywhere to wake up and smell the Starbucks cappuccino (or just regular Lipton’s sweet tea—if they’re more like me). The new age of worship is upon us, and if we choose to ignore it, our society will continue to spiral into an abyss of Godless people.

3 comments:

Well said! It is also important to keep in mind that even the traditional hymns were once considered contemporary back in the day, so everything is relative. This post should really go in a church newsletter or something as a platform for sparking debate.

 

I enjoyed reading the blog. I couldn't agree more! I think there is almost a complete separation anymore between "traditional" worship and "contemporary" worship". So much so that many churches have 2 different services or are only :traditional" churches or only "contemporary" services. But the big questions is "How do we change it?"
At the risk of labeling people, Older people don't like change and don't like what they call "entertainment". Younger people get tired of the "same old".
There are still people who believe "Awesome God" is too contemporary. Do we have to always resort to separate worship services of the young and the old? I pray not because each generation brings and added element to worship. I pray continually for an answer to this question. Thanks for sharing.

 

I just can't stand singing those songs with the whiny guys playing guitar. I hate that style of music. The Hallelujah Chorus does so much more for me than that. I don't want to be a part of that. I like praising God in the traditional way. If I'm going to be a part of this change, I'll have to alter the music style. What we do as a family when we're prepared enough is cool. Almost a kind of country thing. That's what I dig.