Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

Classical Music's Effects on Children

My last blog featured me spouting off about the negative effects of the "hip-hop culture" and entertainment on young people today. Now, I will move on to something that has a positive effect on children's minds - classical music. Keep in mind, if you will, that the following will be from my own random thoughts, research that I have heard via news articles and/or classes I've taken, and from my own experience. (Therefore, I cannot cite things, since I do not remember where I heard the research--I'm thinking it might have been from Yahoo articles and textbooks???)
I have heard (somewhere) that studies have shown that classical music does wonders for students. It somehow stimulates their brain and allows them to think clearly, focus, and sometimes even perform better academically. Not only do I think it is wise and beneficial to expose children to something that could have such a positive impact, but I also believe that exposing them to different forms of musical genres is good for them - especially to those whom have a musical mindset (Gardner's Eight Multiple Intelligences.)

My very own experience with the positive effects of classical music began when I was in third grade. During handwriting, my teacher would put on a tape of Beethoven or Mozart, and I remember really enjoying that time of writing. I somehow felt very calm and relaxed, and I seemed to focus well with the music playing in the background. Music effects mood as well as academic progress. It would seem to me, then, that teachers would want to encourage students to listen to classical music during class time (and even at home) and use it to help themselves.

Classical music is not only beautiful, calming, and good for the brain, but it is also a simply wonderful alternative to the many inappropriate songs one can hear on the radio today, and that is why I plan to make it an integral part of my future classroom.

2 comments:

I know that some teachers are putting on nice, soothing classical music while the studens are doing independent work. It not only helps them focus, but it cuts down on the chit chat that gets kids in trouble. It does make me sad that the Deaf students don't get any benefit from it. If they're Hard of Hearing, the teacher would have to play the music so loud that it would be disruptive to the rest of the class(es). Funny me, though, when music is playing I get so into it that I forget to work. And if you tap me on the shoulder, I'll jumpt a foot!

 

My second grade teacher used to play West Side Story records, which is not classical. I still have not seen the movie. I liked it in high school when my German teacher played the Godfather...