Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

UCF College of Education

After reading Olyvia's most recent blogs about her problems with UCF's College of Education, I figured I'd share my dilemmas about it too, since I can't think of anything else to write about tonight.

Well, UCF has let me down in one way or another every semester I've been here. I swear they try to keep you at this place until you're old and on the verge of death. Often times the classes I needed were full, and they wouldn't let me enroll, so I would either have to try to get an override or pray that the class would be available the next semester.

The College of Education specifically is awful about informing students of what they must do for the program. For probably four to five semesters, I mysteriously had to get overrides into classes even though they WEREN'T full, and then someone finally said, "Oh, well, you're still listed as Education Pending." Well, what do you know? Nobody noticed that and called it to my attention for several semesters?! What's the problem?!

The advisors (or at least the two that I've had) STINK. They never seemed to know what the heck was going on or what I needed to do. Why are they hired to do something they do not and apparently cannot do? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

And now, because of all the fooling around and messing up UCF has done to my classes and scheduling, I am being forced to graduate a semester late! I went to the office last week to get my internship 2 application signed, even though I knew I still had to take 2 more classes (which I wanted to, tried to, and should have been allowed to enter earlier in past semesters but couldn't because UCF messed everything up...) I figured they would let me do the classes during internship 2. But nooooo. It turns out, that they want me to take the 2 classes I'm missing and a surprise third class BEFORE internship 2. So, this means, I won't get to graduate on time in spring 2008 like I had hoped and tried so desperately to do. I'll have to take the 3 classes (and probably a fourth one to keep my Bright Futures scholarship) during spring 2008 and wait until fall 2008 to do my last internship! I am sooo sad, frustrated, and mad about the whole situation--even though there is nothing I can do now. I've tried so hard to fight against the program that has sabotaged me so many times, but it looks as though they won.


Anyway, THIS MESSES UP EVERYTHING! I was sooo upset when they wouldn't let me take the classes with internship 2. I really can't wait to be rid of this school--not only because it's terrible and many of the classes treat us like we're elementary school kids, but also because I AM PASSED READY TO BEGIN TEACHING! I can't wait! And now that I'll be graduating in the fall, I'm pretty sure that will dash my hopes of getting hired at the school of my choice, since it will be in the middle of the school year.

So thanks, UCF, for ruining so much for me. I'm praying that God will make something good of what I consider to be a real bummer--for lack of a better word. :-/ I could definitely use your prayers for patience!

1 comments:

That's awful about your situation! Yes, it seems as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing half the time. It is as though too many cases like yours and mine are happening and hopefully it is an obvious wake up call to the education department. I'll definitely be praying for you - God has some idea of what is going on :)