Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

Good Bye, Fifth Grade! :(

Today (Tuesday, October 9th) was my last day in the fifth grade class at Fern Creek Elementary. :( As a going away gift, the kids presented me with a book of drawings they did. Many of them depict me or something that reminded them of me-----it is a pretty entertaining book. I love it! :) Next week, I'll be moving on to a first grade class. The second placement is at the same school, so at least I'll be able to see my fifth graders now and then in the halls. I would love to just stay with Mrs. Abel (my supervising teacher) and her class, but at the same time, I'm sure I will grow just as fond of the first graders as I did with the fifth graders.

Being in Mrs. Abel's class has been a blast. From teaching lessons, to observing, to going on a field trip to St. Augustine--I have had a great experience. I have learned a lot from Mrs. Abel; she gave me so many helpful tips and good ideas. I am glad I got such a great teacher to be an example and a mentor to me. The tight structure she has set forth for her class was one of the major things that impressed me. Because of the structure, her classroom management is very effective, and the class has almost no real behavior problems at all.


Fern Creek is a Title 1 school (which means it has a large percentage of "less-fortunate" students), and usually those kinds of schools are known for behavior problems. I have worked in/seen Title 1 schools before Fern Creek, and there is quite a difference in effective behavior management. At Fern Creek, there is structure, and there are rules to which the entire school adheres. The school promotes safety, making good choices, having & meeting personal commitments, and much more. I am so glad I was placed at Fern Creek because if I work at the school I hope to work at, I can take the good pointers to the people there and make it a better school.

I look forward to taking what I have learned and using it in my future classroom. My internship has been quite an experience and has made me grow, and I am anxious to learn even more as I go to a first grade class. It will be quite different, but I'm up for it!

Well, I'm off to study for a midterm...Geez Louise--I have so much to do! :-P Have a great week! :)

2 comments:

Sounds like you really enjoyed that class! That's great that you had a wonderful supervising teacher. I expect I will learn much during my internship as well! What grades do you prefer to teach and at what school are you hoping for? It's exciting that we share the same passion for underprivileged children - I am sure you will be wonderful wherever you go!

 

It is wonderful that you enjoyed you time with Mrs. Abel and her fifth grade class. I think when you have such a wonderful experience with a teacher and their students, it makes becoming a teacher more exciting. :)