Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

"I'm a Poet and Didn't Know It."

At my internship, some famous(?) poet came and talked to students about poetry. I had never heard of her before, but then again, I'm not a poetry person. Her name was Sarah Holbrook, and she gave kids some good strategies and pointers on how to write their own poems, so...I figured I'd try my hand at it tonight for this blog.

First, she said to create a small list of things having to do with a particular topic or place and at the same time, try to keep in mind words that will rhyme with the words you thought of:

stress (mess, success)
assignment
class (pass)
book (cook, shook, took)
blog (jog, hog, dog)

Next, she said to come up with a few sentences using some of the words from the list and using some sort of poetry pattern for rhyming. (I will use A B C B , which means the last words in the second and fourth line will rhyme.)

A. Here I am writing my third blog
B. I have so much to do in just this one week
C. I am quite overwhelmed and tired.
B. A little bit of rest is what I seek.

A. I have assignments to do for each and every class;
B. It's very hectic right now, and it causes me great stress.
C. I'm ready for a break--
B. I need at least a long weekend and nothing less.

A. This semester has been so busy--
B. I can't wait to be done with all that is due.
C. How I wish my classes were over with
B. It would feel so wonderful just to be through.

A. Now I must end this awful poem
B. And move on to another thing I've been assigned.
C. With so much to do, which should I choose?
B. I have to stay focused and not lose my mind.

Ok, sorry, folks, that was pretty darn bad. Good thing my 20 minutes are up! Well, I'm off to do other stuff now... :-P

1 comments:

Aw! I loved this. That is really neat! I am not even a poetry person, and it looks interesting. :)