Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

St. Augustine Field Trip! :)

This past Thursday I went on a field trip with the fifth grade class from Fern Creek Elementary School, where I am currently doing my first internship. It was a blast! Even though it was hotter than heck, I had a great time, and I think all of the children did too. :)

In case you haven't gotten a chance to see the other field trip pictures that I uploaded onto Facebook, here are three pictures to give you an idea. One is a picture of the whole class in front of a water wheel, one is of me with some of the students in my class, and the other is of the "Castillo de San Marco" (the fort).

We arrived in St. Augustine around 11:30 or so, and we had lunch right away. Afterwards, we got a tour of the fort. I have been to St. Augustine a couple of times before this, but the fort was cool, as usual--(literally and figuratively--because the wind off of the ocean felt sooo good, since it counteracted the extreme heat of the sun.) In and on the fort, we saw the barricks, the canons, some other rooms, and all of that good stuff--and
we learned from our tour guide about how the soldiers and their families lived there. It was very interesting!

From the fort, we went to visit stations, where a soldier, a blacksmith, and a maker of leather goods talked about their crafts. That was pretty neat too. I got a video of the kids covering their ears as the soldier re-enacter shot his gun. :)

After that, we headed over to the oldest wooden schoolhouse, where we learned about the educational environment of the past. I guess it's the teacher in me that makes me enjoy that site so much. But it really is interesting to learn about the differences between then and now. For example, we don't use the dunce cap any more, and we don't close misbehaving children into a closet all day long! :)

After shopping for souvenirs, it was time to head back to the school and then home. It was a full day for sure. We were all exhausted by the time it was all over. But as my first field trip as the intern and not the student, it was an enjoyable and memorable day.






1 comments:

Great pictures! Sounds like a lot of fun!