Ponder This

by Kristy Zabel

What are you going to name him?

Before I begin with tonight's featured topic, I have to respond to Krystina and Olyvia's recent comments/questions left on my a couple of my recent blogs...

Krystina, you gave a very kind response to my last poem post. You really are toooo polite! I thought it was terrible, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. hehe :)

Olyvia, you asked if there is anything else I do in my church besides sing in the choir. Yes, I am the "webmaster" and web designer for the church website. (Check it out if you wish--http://www.geocities.com/fumcpinehills.) I am the 'youth minister' even though, right now, we don't have a youth group, and I am the Sunday school teacher for the youth also. And during the summer, I teach a class at Vacation Bible School, and I'm kind of their official decorator for the event too, which is always fun. I'm also on the Leadership Committee and a couple of other committees. I think that pretty much covers it! :)
You also asked what grade I would like to teach and at what school, and for the grade part of that question (which everyone asks), I usually just say third grade because I like all of the grades, but 3rd is in the middle, so I just stick with that answer. I just started in my second placement for internship in a first grade class today (Monday, October 15). Already, I'm thinking I might change my tune and stick with the upper grades, but I'll explain that later in an upcoming blog. As for the school I'd like to teach in, I would like to go back to the school I attended - Ridgewood Park Elementary--which is a very troubled school to say the least. I also like Fern Creek, though, which is where I'm interning right now because, even though the students there have issues, the school is great and holds high expectations. But we'll see where God places me to teach.


Okay--even though my responses themselves took up a good chunk of my 20 minute blog requirement, I will now move on to the subject of the night... :-P


"What are you going to name him?" a friend asks a couple expecting a child.
"We were considering these," the pregnant woman exclaims, pointing to the names "Tylar" and "Taiylor" on the list of baby names the couple had compiled.

Well, according to an article (
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/08/international/europe/08names.html?pagewanted=1&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/B/Babies&_r=3&oref=slogin) I recently read, Denmark might refuse to allow the parents to name their child either one of those names without written permission from a government review board because they are not typical names and definitely aren't typical spellings. I was kind of surprised when I read this article. Here in America, we can name babies whatever we want -- whether it's the infamous "Apple" or "Pilot Inspektor"--without question.

Even though it is the American way to be able to choose whatever unique name or spelling of a name we want for children, I'm thinking maybe some people DO need to ask permission first. For example, one real-life couple named their child "Lemonjello!" First of all, what were they smoking when they thought of naming their child that? Were they inhaling powdered lemon Jell-O? In my middle school yearbook, I remember seeing a child whose name was "Seaborn Algae." He was an adorable little child, but I would like to know how many times he was made fun of for that name. I'm sure he has probably lost count by now.

The fact is, people need to take the naming of a baby seriously. They are going to be stuck with it the rest of their lives! It's not something that should be taken lightly or be given little thought. Denmark is quite extreme in its handling of the situation, but for some parents that don't have good judgment and plain old good sense, maybe I should name their baby for them. :-P ;)

1 comments:

Sounds like you stay quite busy with your church! I love Vacation Bible School - awesome job with the website as well. And you are right - wherever God opens doors is where you'll be placed :)

Interesting article! Yes, people should really consider what they name their child. Some names are so ridiculous!